Agahozo Shalom Rwandan Orphaned Youth Village 1 Day Visit | 1 Day Rwanda Agahozo Shalom Youth Village Tour | 1 Day Visit Agahozo Shalom Youth Village | Rwandan Orphans Agahozo Shalom Youth Village | Visiting Childrens Orphanage Kigali | Kigali Rwanda 1 Day Trips Excursions Safaris | Best Rwanda Excursions & Day Trips | 1 Day Nairobi Childrens Home
Agahozo Shalom Rwandan Orphaned Youth Village 1 Day Visit: If you are in Kigali – Rwanda with a day to spare, make sure to travel to Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village. Agahozo Shalom Youth Village (ASYV) is a home for orphans of the genocide and AIDs in Rwanda.
It was originally set up to educate the orphans of the 1994 genocide against Tutsi when 800,000 people were killed during 100 days of ethnic fighting, are still felt by the young generation.
Many women were raped and contracted HIV but did not get proper medical care, and died afterward, leaving young children behind. The genocide led to many social hardships. One of the primary issues still facing the country is a high number of orphaned children and vulnerable youth.
Many live in poverty, sheltered by guardians who cannot afford a regular supply of food or clean water, let alone school fees and medical expenses. Although Rwanda has made strides in providing its youth with access to education, about 70% of Rwandans are still unable to enroll in secondary school.
Rwanda as a country has a population of 12.5 million and out of these there are over there are 2.8 million orphans and vulnerable children in Rwanda today. Many cannot think beyond their next meal, let alone dream about the future.
At Agahozo Shalom Youth Village, most of them are orphans (which mean they have lost one or both parents). The community is currently home to more than 500 teenagers, ages 14 to 21 from all 30 districts of Rwanda.
The Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village empowers orphaned and vulnerable Rwandan youth to build lives of dignity and contribute to a better world. The village provides students a campus with a dining room, high school, health care clinic, homes, workshop spaces, plumbing, internet service, etc.
The students study biology, history, math, economics, language, literature, agriculture, music, mechanization, etc. Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village spends at least 4,000 US Dollars per year per student, compared to Rwandan public schools, which spend between 800 to 1,000 US Dollars per student per year.
A visit to the youth village allows you to learn how parenting is done by the community, and it’s done in a structure to give all of the support. These are homes, not dormitories, each home has a mama, a big brother or sister and graduates of Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village who act as mentors and we also have cousins, who are long-term volunteers.”
A tour of the Village is generally 2 to 3 hours long. It begins at the center of the Village at the Mango Tree and includes a visit to a family home, the amphitheater, the farm, the science and art centers, the school, and the dining hall.
Agahozo Shalom Rwandan Orphaned Youth Village 1 Day Visit Prices
While at the spice farm you will do the following activities;
* Get a tasty local lunch at the farm cooked with vegetables and fruit in season
* Buy fresh spices, coffee, tea, soaps etc at a spice stall selling fresh packaged spices (cash only)
* Walking tour at a spice farm: Learn about the properties and origins of each spice, and their use as medicines, food or drink
* Smell and taste different spices. Depending on the season we will see and taste vanilla, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, turmeric, lemon grass, cloves, ylang ylang, cumin, garlic, ginger, coriander, pepper, tamarind, chili, oregano and many others
Zanzibar Stone Town Spice Farm 1 Day Bicycle Guided Tour Prices
Agahozo Shalom Rwandan Orphaned Youth Village 1 Day Visit Prices Include;
All village entrance fees + A hearty lunch with the orphans + Bottled water in the safari vehicle + Services of a professional English speaking Driver/ Guide & Round trip transportation from Kigali to the village and back
|Dates From||Dates To||Price Per Person||Children Aged 3 to 12 Years|
|1st January 2023||31st December 2023||Request for rates||Request for rates|
* Please note that the tour is on foot and includes a significant amount of walking. Please wear comfortable shoes & dress appropriately
* We recommend you bring the following items: comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen, sunglasses, water, light rain jacket and a camera
* You can bring all kind of gifts from toothpaste to health insurance etc. If you are planning a visit and wish to bring items to donate to the Village, please email prior to your visit to obtain a list of the most current needs
* If you have specific points of interest, please let us know ahead of time and we will do our best to emphasize the relevant aspects of the Village
Agahozo Shalom Rwandan Orphaned Youth Village 1 Day Visit Prices Exclude:
* Tips or gratuity
* Travelers insurance
* Communication charges
* Minimum of 1 person required
* Visas, international airfares and airport taxes; meals
* Sightseeing not included in the package; optional activities
* Personal expenses such as transfers to/ from the airport (supplement airport transfer cost applies for tours starting from the airport)
General Behavior Guidelines While Visiting the Village
The Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village serves as a home for more than 500 vulnerable teenagers. While in the Village, please be mindful of their privacy.The village asks that you respect the following guidelines:
* Do not photograph children without their explicit permission
* Be mindful of the activities happening at the Village and attempt to minimize any disruption to the rhythm of life
* Respect the kids’ privacy and do not ask them about their background unless they offer to share that information