Golden Monkey Tracking Volcanoes National Park 1 Day Trip Safari | Volcanoes Park Golden Monkeys Half Day Rwanda Safari | Golden Monkey Trekking Rwanda Volcanoes National Park | Kigali Rwanda Day Tours | 1 Day Golden Monkey Tracking Tour | Things to Do in Volcanoes National Park Rwanda | Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park Activities & Attractions
Golden Monkey Tracking Volcanoes National Park 1 Day Trip Safari; Have a day to spare in Kigali? Opt to explore Volcanoes National Park on a golden monkey expedition in the company of an experienced African Spice Safaris guide.
Spend a half a day in Volcanoes National Park – Rwanda tracking the Golden Monkeys. The golden monkey has a prominent golden fur coat and is an endangered species.
Given the scientific name of Cercopithecus mitis kandti, the golden monkey is considered to be a subspecies of the Sykes monkey. They are exclusive to the Virunga mountain range.
The only places where one can trek to see them up close include Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, and Rwanda. These monkeys live in bamboo forests at the higher elevations of the Virunga mountains, as well as at the foot of Sabyinyo Mountain.
There are two habituated troops with in volcanoes national park and the larger troop found in Sabyinyo has between 80 to 100 members and this one is the most visited troop.
There is always one session for golden monkey tracking per day and this takes place early in the morning in Volcanoes National Park. Here the visitors have to report at the headquarters by 0700 hours where they will meet the ranger guides for the briefing and then drive to the starting point of the trek.
Those who need porter assistance to carry photographic and other equipment can hire them at the base point of the trek. The drive takes only 15 minutes from the edge of the park.
Trekking golden monkeys and gorillas is a similar experience – in a small group of no more than 8 guests, and you can spend one hour with the monkeys once you find them. The time to spend in the jungle is not specific.
It can be as short as 30 minutes to several hours depending on the speed of movement for the monkeys. Most trackers are able to locate them as they hike along the trail, with in less than an hour.
When you near the monkeys, your guide will point them out in the trees and you can watch as they swing above, foraging for food. Golden monkeys are small in size around 15 Kilos, get their name from the long golden hair on their backs, and move around the bamboo forest like they are court jesters.
You will spend about an hour watching these fast-moving little creatures that live in social groups of up to 100 individuals and are very entertaining as they constantly swing through the bamboo or chase each other in circles all around you.
They’re also very pretty, with shiny reddish-gold backs that blend in perfectly with the golden bamboo. The two groups of habituated monkeys are getting more used to their human visitors.
So don’t be surprised if they jump quite close, and be aware of standing directly underneath a group in the trees, as they can easily poop on you at times! After an hour in their company you will trek back to the park headquarters.Transfer back to Kigali city reaching in the afternoon.
Golden Monkey Tracking Volcanoes National Park 1 Day Trip Safari Prices
Golden Monkey Tracking Volcanoes National Park 1 Day Trip Safari Rates Includes:
Lunch + Park entry fees+ One Golden monkey trekking Permit + Services of our professional driver guide + You may also want to take a snack, for extra energy + Round trip transport from Kigali (Tour Vehicle, Driver Guide, Fuel) & A bottle of water while on safari. Take plenty of water with you for the trek – your guide will provide extra for you – as it’s easy to become dehydrated
|Dates From||Dates To||Price Per Person||Children Aged 8 to 11 Years|
|1st January 2023||31st December 2023||Request for rates||Request for rates|
* The maximum size of the group is 8 guests, accompanied by your trekking guide and an armed park ranger
* Things to take with you for a golden monkey trek include:
– Paths on the treks can be slippery and muddy, so sturdy waterproof walking boots are essential
– A waterproof jacket is a good idea, as even in the dry season you’ll find there may be occasional downpours
– Walking pole, insect repellent, day pack for your lunch in case the trek takes longer than expected, water for drinking
– We highly recommend you go along with a porter to provide an extra support with the day pack and the slippery places
– Trekking through patches of thistles, nettles and brambles, so we’d recommend wearing long trousers and long-sleeved shirts versus shorts
Golden Monkey Tracking Volcanoes National Park 1 Day Trip Safari Rates Do Not Include:
* Porter fees
* International Airfare
* Cost of obtaining passport and visas
* Gratuity for your professional driver guide
* If you wish, your lodge will provide a packed breakfast to take with you – ask the day before
* Personal expenses such as transfers to/ from the airport (supplement airport transfer cost applies for tours starting from the airport)
* Personal expenses such travelling insurance, excess baggage fee, communication charges that include, laundry, emails, faxes and phone calls beverages including luxury champagne, luxury spirits, beer, wines during meals or meals not indicated in the itinerary
Golden Monkey Tracking Volcanoes National Park 1 Day Trip Safari Detailed Itinerary
0430 Hours: Depart Kigali for Volcanoes National Park. The park is located in Northwestern Rwanda and runs along the Border of Uganda and DRC. Volcanoes is 105 km West of Kigali Town, by road it takes only 2 hours to drive on a comfortable tarmac road to the Park.
Guests who stay in Kinigi or Musanze are located closer to Volcanoes National Park hence are pick alittle later for the trip. The Golden monkey trek begins by reporting to the park headquarters at 0700 hours for a briefing.
Professional friendly guides offer a brief you on what to expect on your trip and the guidelines (the do’s and don’ts). After the briefing you will drive to the trailhead at the edge of the park about 15 minutes away.
For a small fee, you’ll also have the choice to hire a porter to accompany you on the trek, to help carry your backpack and offer a hand during tricky parts of the hike. Even if you don’t really need them, hiring a porter is a helpful way to contribute directly to the local economy.
The actual trek in search of these wonderful creatures then starts by 0800 hours in the company of your trekking guides. You travel through villages and farmland before getting to higher elevation.
The duration of your trek depends on the location of the golden monkey group. The monkeys can cover a fair amount of distance daily, so it can sometimes take a while for the trackers to locate them.
They can easily be found (within about 30 to 60 minutes) since they usually inhabit the foothills of the mountains in the bamboo forest.
The two groups of habituated monkeys are getting more used to their human visitors, so don’t be surprised if they jump quite close, and be aware of standing directly underneath a group in the trees, as little ‘presents’ can drop down at times!
Once you’re with the golden monkeys, you’re allowed an hour, maximum, with them before heading back.
Golden Monkey Trekking Rules
* You won’t be allowed to eat or drink when you’re with the golden monkeys, and smoking is not allowed during the trek
* When you’re with your group, you should try not to make sudden movements and to keep your voices low so that the group remains relaxed. Although these monkeys are now used to seeing people, do bear in mind that they are still wild animals and can sometimes react unexpectedly, so always heed your guide’s and trackers’ instructions