Takwa Ruins Manda Island Historical Day Tour Lamu | Takwa Ruins Manda Island | Ruins of Takwa | National Museums of Kenya Takwa Takwa Ruins | Manda Island Lamu | Lamu Excursions Takwa Ruins | Trip to Takwa Ruins on Manda Island | Half Day Trip Takwa Ruins Manda Island | Lamu Island Day Tours
Takwa Ruins Manda Island Historical Day Tour Lamu is an excursion to a historical site called the Takwa settlement situated on the south side of Manda Island, in the Lamu District in the coastal province of Kenya.
Manda Island where Takwa ruins are found is one of the 4 main Islands of the Lamu archipelago. The others are Lamu Island, Pate Island and Kiwayu Island.
Takwa settlement is an ancient Swahili village on Manda Island and was founded around year 15th century and was abandoned in the 17th century due to salination of the once fresh water and endless fighting between the Takwa and Pate people.
The ruins were first excavated by James Kirkman in 1951, then in 1972 more clearing of the site was done under the supervision of James de Vere Allen.
They were gazetted as a National Monument in 1982. The ruins nest amidst giant baobab trees.
The Great Mosque at Takwa is relatively well preserved. The other structure remaining of importance is the Pillar Tomb, which has an inscription with the date of 1681 -1682.
Manda Island is a 30-minute boat ride from neighboring Lamu (9.2 km’s away). Once you arrive at the ruins, the guided adventure begins with a walk across a raised walkway, above the mangroves.
Once you get to the ruins you will get a guided tour and information about the history behind the village buildings, which are mostly ruins.
Later you walk to see the coastline to see stunning view of the ocean from a sand dune.
This is a half day trip and it can be organized by speed boat and by dhow (30 minutes), depending on the tide level.
Takwa Ruins Manda Island Historical Day Tour Lamu Prices
Takwa Ruins Manda Island Historical Day Tour Lamu Rates Includes:
Picnic lunch is optional + All applicable entrance fees & Return boat transfers from Lamu Island, Kiwayu Island or Manda Island
|Dates From||Dates To||Price Per Person||Children Aged 3 to 11 Years|
|1st January 2023||31st December 2023||Request for rates||Request for rates|
* Takwa Ruins is a historical site owned and managed by the National Museums of Kenya
* The Ruins of Takwa are located on Manda Island, a 30 minute boat ride from Lamu town. Here one can witness the remains of a thriving 16th century Swahili trading town.
Takwa Ruins Manda Island Historical Day Tour Lamu Rates Do Not Include
* International Airfare
* Cost of obtaining passport and visas
* Gratuity for your professional boat driver guide
* Personal expenses such traveling insurance, excess baggage fee, communication charges that include, laundry, emails, faxes and phone calls beverages including luxury champagne, luxury spirits, beer, wines during meals or meals not indicated in the itinerary