Finch Hattons Luxury Tented Camp is located in Tsavo West National Park and is accessible from the Mtito Andei Gate on the main Nairobi-Mombasa highway. The camp is about 4 hours (235 km) by road from Nairobi. The camp is 65 km (1 ½ hour) from Mtito Andei Gate – via Kilaguni, Kitani to Finch Hattons, and 260 km from Mombasa to Mtito Andei (app. 4 hours).
Finch Hattons is easily accessible by charter flight or private aircraft. The camp is about an hour by air from Nairobi by a Charter flight from Wilson Airport. Finch Hatton’s Camp private all-weather airstrip is approximately 3.5 Kilometers from Lodge. The camp lies at the heart of Tsavo West National Park – part of Kenya’s single largest game park. Finch Hattons’ 35-acre concession sits on the southwestern edge of Tsavo West.
The 17 spacious Safari Tents are incredible – there is a chandelier over the bed – with an indoor shower, or two outdoor showers if you wanted to shower under the stars, and a large patio deck so you could watch the wildlife from your tent.
The tents have complete luxury beds, a grand chest of drawers, a copper bathtub, two outdoor showers, one indoor shower and WC, a leather writing desk with a flip-top cover, and a grand chair. Room types include:
* Click here to visit Finch Hattons Luxury Luxury Tented Suites
* Click here to visit Finch Hattons Luxury Two Bedroom Family Suites
* Click here to visit Finch Hattons Luxury Finch Hattons Suite (Presidential)
The whole camp is built around a pond and has no fence! This means that you can see crocodiles, monkeys, and birds from the hotel restaurant and your room. These pools are home to a resident pod of hippopotamus that spends their days wallowing in the shallows and their nights grazing around the camp.
Crocodiles and a healthy population of terrapins and monitor lizards are often seen sunning themselves at the water’s edge while a wide variety of games have been sighted in and around. Birdlife at Finch Hatton’s Camp is spectacular with over 200 locally recorded species.
Yellow barked Acacia Xanthophlea trees surround the tents which are beautifully located and offer comfortable and stylish accommodation in an idyllic setting. Many boast spectacular views directly overlooking the hippo pools and springs.
Denys Finch Hatton was one of Kenya’s great adventurers. He devoted his life to exploring the wild in style. In his camp, dinner was served on fine china with silver and crystal, while the gentle strains of Mozart played in the background. Here in Tsavo, where he lived and died, this tradition lives on.
Finch Hatton’s Camp Tsavo West National Park Safari Activities include:
* Escorted Nature Walks are available
* Optional Sundowners and/ or Bush Breakfasts can also be arranged
* Exclusive use of a safari vehicle can be organized by prior arrangement
* Early morning, mid-morning, and afternoon game drives in the park are in customized, open-sided 4×4 safari vehicles with professional driver guides
* Day Excursions to nearby Amboseli National Park (2.5 hours drive) can be arranged with prior notice. This relatively small park is famous for its massive herds of elephants and proximity to Mt. Kilimanjaro