Kiunga Marine National Reserve Lamu day trip is a tour to Kiunga Marine National Reserve situated along the Indian Ocean coast of Lamu District, Coast Province, Kenya. Kiunga Marine National Reserve Lamu day trip provides ideal opportunities for windsurfing, diving and snorkeling, water skiing, and sunbathing.
Kiunga Marine National Reserve is a 3-hour trip by speed boat from Lamu Island and is located north of Kiwayu Island and Mkokoni village. Kiunga Park covers 270 square kilometers (100 square miles) with approximately 50 islands and coral reefs in the Lamu Archipelago.
The reserve is adjacent to the Boni and Dodori National Reserves, also managed by the Kenya Wildlife Service. By air, one can land at an airstrip at Dodori National Reserve. Kiunga is a remote, unspoiled village on the mainland about 150 km east of Lamu.
Visitors can view the teeming sea life in the coral reefs, sea grass, and extensive mangrove forests which are a refuge for sea turtles and dugongs. During your day trip to Kiunga Marine National Reserve, you will be lucky to see the migratory birds that nest on the islands.
You will also see one of the world’s greatest coral reefs that are teeming with fish, sea turtles, sea stars, sea urchins, and many other marine species.
What to Do and See at Kiunga Marine National Reserve
* Marine life – Insects/ arthropods: Lobsters, Sea urchins, Sea stars, Crabs, Mosquito
* Marine life – Reptiles/ fish: Sea Turtles, Olive Ridley, Leatherback, Turtles, Reef fish
* Activities include: Deep sea fishing, water-skiing, sailing, snorkeling/ creek fishing/ bird watching, windsurfing, kayaking, and swimming
Kiunga Marine National Reserve Lamu Day Trip Prices
|Dates From||Dates To||Price Per Person||Children Aged 3 to 12 Years|
|1st January 2023||31st December 2023||Request for rates||Request for rates|
* Kiwayu Island is the only inhabited island to be included in the Kiunga Marine Reserve
* What to take with you: Footwear (to protect your feet from the reef), T-shirt, snorkel, mask, ﬁns, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, insect repellent, guidebooks and plenty of drinking water